What is a Freelance Writer?
Freelance writers are self-employed writers who work on a commission basis, hourly basis, or per completed assignment. A freelance writer does work for several publications whether newspapers, magazines, online papers, or online websites. Freelance writers will do very well if they are diverse in their writing and this leads to more paid work.
As a freelance writer, one has to be flexible and self-reliant for several reasons:
- Work is not steady.
- Work fluctuates at times.
- Freelance writers do not receive sick pay or holiday pay.
- There is no regular salary.
- This type of work is not for everyone.
The benefits of being a freelance writer:
- It is not a 9 to 5 job.
- There is freedom to choose who one works for.
- Do not have daily commute to and from work.
- Can take a holiday or vacation at any time.
- Choose your own hours of working.
- It is a fun and enjoyable job to do.
What to Consider when Hiring a Freelance Writer
Here are a few tips one should consider when hiring a freelance writer:
- Ensure that they are reliable and dependable.
- Ensure that the writer has the skills and qualifications needed to write for the company.
- Ensure that one has a point of contact or means to communicate with the freelance writer concerning work and assignments.
- Unsure that one gets a sample of the freelancer’s work before hiring them.
- Ensure that the freelance writer is able to show that they are an expert in the subject matter.
- The freelance writer should be flexible and adaptable to change.
- The freelance writer should have the ability to write on any subject matter and write in any style.
- Another key factor is that the writer should have a social media presence and internet savvy.
- Ask for references from the freelance writer.
- Speak with the freelance writer’s other clients to see how they like the freelancer’s work.
How to Spot Problems with Freelance Writers
Here are a few signs that the freelance writer is not good:
- Unable to write and send an email.
- Does not have an email address.
- The freelancer is not a good communicator and hard to get into contact with.
- The freelance writer cannot produce original and accurate content.
- The freelance writer does not follow instructions or directions.